Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An old favorite

So, while it's not techinically new news, I did have to reshare this recipe from March of earlier this year (we used it for St. Patrick's Day dinner). Mainly because the weather here is finally turning fall and winter-ish and that means I'm cooking up a family favorite: Irish stew!

The great thing about this stew is that you can kinda throw in whatever you have on hand. Tonight I'm going to toss in some broccoli and green beans since I happen to have a couple frozen packs of each. And I have to add that any sort of hot bread with this makes the dish even more delish!

Thanks to I Married An Ominivore for this vegetarian version of a classic!

1 – pkg favorite brand of “crumbles,” or your favorite meat substitute, up to two pounds.
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups potatos, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
3 cups tomato juice/sauce
1 cup water
2 cups canned or frozen peas
Cut up all the veggies (except for the peas) into 2-inch chunks and add to crock pot. Open “crumbles” package and pour on top of veggies in slow cooker. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 6-9 hours (I let it go for the full 9 hours because I usually cook this while I’m at work). About 15-30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add the peas into the slow cooker and let cook for those last 15-30 minutes. Although I always make this in my crock pot, it also can be cooked it in a 250 degree oven for 6 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my little slice of the internet! Comments, questions, and feedback are greatly appreciated and I'll do my best to answer (or input) on anything you have to say.

Oh, and FYI: snarky, mean, abusive, or comments meant to start arguments will not be published. This is my happy place. I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...